Transition Ottawa

Building Community Resilience Through Action

Redesigning Ottawa: A Response to Climate Change and Peak Oil

Hi Transition Ottawa Members,

My organization, the Canadian Biodiversity Institute, has been working on a major report to the City of Ottawa for the last year or so on the topic of what and how the city should, and needs to be doing to mitigate and adapt to climate change and peak oil, in both the short and long term.  We are looking at issues and solutions for resilience and sustainability.

Our report will be a compliment to the city's own Choosing Our Future process, but with more of a public voice and we are able to push the envelope more with our recommendations. Our report will be presented to the city (politicians and staff), as well as made available publically. Both reports will be released this coming late fall.

We have been doing a lot of public consultation through workshops, discussion groups, individual interviews, literature research, and other methods, and now would like to have your feedback on ideas and suggestions you have for what the city should be doing and how it can do it (and how it could get out of the way of, or assist citizens who are trying to become more resilient and sustainable on their own).  Topics in the report that you could send comments on include: Food and Agriculture (growing, land use, production, distribution, etc.); Transportation (cars and road infrastructure, cycling, freight, trains, etc.); Water Use and Conservation (ground water, surface water, natural features, stromwater, wastewater, etc.); Energy (use, production, distribution, alternative/green, existing systems, etc.); Biodiversity and Living Natural Systems (forests, wetlands, fields, land use and development, preservation of biodiversity, ecomonic valuation of eco-services, etc.); Waste (consumption, landfills and bio-gas, leachate, 3Rs and beyond, packaging, etc.); Green Buildings, Green Business, Human Health, Community Consultation and Engagement, and more. 

We will be including specific sections on walkable cities, complete streets, index of well-being, energy descent action plan, ecological footprint analysis, and many other topics.

Send us your visions (for what the city could look like in 20, 30 and 50 years), your recommendations, innovative ideas, and suggestions for best practices (articles, reports, videos, other references, etc.) from other cities, business, organizations, individuals, etc.

If you have anything that you would like to contribute please send it to this discussion before the end of September. We look forward to having your input and know that there will be many interesting and valuable contributions.

Many thanks for your participation.

Heather Hamilton

Views: 324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Heather. The company I work at, Douglas Associates, is involved in exploring ideas for Green Belt rehab - is that part of this?

Hi Tess,

Yes, the Greenbelt, as an important component of the whole Ottawa picture, is part of the report. 

I also belong to the Greenbelt Coalition, and we are very involved with the Greenbelt Master Plan Review and other NCC initiatives regarding the Greenbelt, and I'm the Vice-chair of the Ottawa Forests and Greenspace Advisory Committee (to the city), so the Greenbelt is always on my radar. 

I would be interested in talking with you, and/or someone at Douglas Associates about your ideas, if that's appropriate at this stage.

Heather

Hi Heather,

I will try to arrange something on Monday. I sent you a friend request - perhaps better to do it through direct communication than boring everyone with the details?

Tess

Hi Heather,

Also a request - I am doing a report on waste management (If the topic is approved) for a class at Algonquin. May I pick your brain too please? :^)

Tess

Hi Heather,

I'm very concerned that in looking for the cause of climate change people are overlooking the huge project that impacts most seriously on the whole planet; geoengineering, also now called climate remediation. This project, for which there are searchable documents in terms of the US, at least, vowing to "own the weather" by 2012, has been spraying the atmosphere with millions of tons of nano-particles, including aluminum, barium, strontium, as well as polymers and so on. This has caused our water and soil to become a toxic soup, it has killed trees, caused an epidemic of asthma and high blood pressure, as well as untold other problems. Please see http://www.checktheevidence.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&... (which gives a link to download a document prepared by scientists from around the world. It is a 300 page document, so I've only given a link to the page from which you can download it.) Also please see aircrap.org, as well as Clifford Carnicom,

aerosolcrimes.org.

Thank you,

Janet D.

I would first like to know if this is yet another conspiracy theory that someone has dreamt up to raise blood-pressures for fun. There are so many it is getting really wearing. Did you cross-check this a few places before posting? If you know any scientific types, get them to check the emmission spectra of the upper atmosphere - that I think would be the quickest and easiest check.

Con/chemtrails are not new, and their tendency to last or not (the key issue on which this theory is based) is probably more due to atmospheric conditions than any other fuel content.

Remember that most governments, especially the Western govts, while still stuck on old technology and hooked on oil (because the people in those countries are) are starting to realize more and more clearly that putting shit into our world is not helping - not helping food production, national health or insurance premiums because people are putting into motion more and more class-action suits. So in simple self-interest it is unlikely to be true. And while there are definitely people who cant see beyond their own noses or wants in position of great power, these are still not in the majority. Or we are screwed in any case.

Let's ccheck on what is real before we go off on wild goose chases, ok? Double-check your facts - and theirs. Look for peer-reviewed stuff. This kind of stuff in our atmosphere is too easy to check on at a reasonably low level.

Hi Tess,

While I am happy to see you have joined in the discussion, I'm not sure your approach is particularly useful.

Is this just another conspiracy theory? Certainly there are many people who prefer to dismiss those of us who have raised concerns by trying to brand us conspiracy theorists. In that way, they dismiss our complaints without the need to do any serious investigation. Did I cross check? Yes, I have studied this for at least the last two years. The sources I gave have been involved in serious investigations for years. I have even read scholarly papers, including firefighters who are concerned because the aluminum has caused fires to burn hotter and more quickly than in the past;also, some scientists have written a paper about this phenomenon; see for example, Case Orange by the Belfort Group, http://www.checktheevidence.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&.... See also Clifford Carnicom, aerosolcrimes.org, http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2815320198655156407, who has done some very serious work.

The government has admitted spraying/bioweapon testing/geoengineering/weather modification.

1. Welsbach patent

2. British bioweapon tests

3. Owning the Weather in 2025

4. AP: Obama looks at climate engineering (Alex Jones likes this story)

There is a massive research study is entitled: Policy Implications of Greenhouse Warming: Mitigation, Adaptation, and the Science Base - Panel on Policy Implications of Greenhouse Warming, sponsored by the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine. The results were presented in 1992 and published in book form in 2000 by the National Academy Press. This 994 page study is the textbook on greenhouse gasses, global warming, policy decisions and mitigation's (corrective measures). Included within is the hard science many chemtrails researchers have been searching for: the scientists, agencies, institutions and corporations involved, cost factors, chemical formula, mathematical modeling, delivery methods, policies, recruiting of foreign governments, acquisition of materials, and the manufacturing of aerosol compounds, ect.

Policy Implications of Global WarmingThis entire volume can presently be read online at: http://books.nap.edu/books/0309043867/html/index.html. Keep in mind that this study is only the tip of the iceberg. Literally hundreds of papers on related topics have been published in scientific journals. We don't expect this featured study to remian online for long once the cat is out of the bag. So do check it out soon.

I look forward to continuing this discusion with you.

Janet D.

Hi Janet,

Thank you for replying.

I don't mean to be unhelpful. But I have had enough of hoaxes and things of the sort blowing by. There are enough problems in our lives and in the world of reality not to have to get upset about yet another thing we can do little about. I have pitched in my oar on the side of greener living (I am currently studying towards a diploma in sustainable architecture, am active in the local federal and provincial Green Parties, support wildlife and conservation causes where I can, and am pushing for better education techniques to promote thinking for oneself and earlier awareness of the ecosystem we depend on and how our choices impact it, and how to live more healthily and significantly reduce our footprint on the premise that if we teach the kids, even if they don't manage to teach their parents, at least they will take over the helm with a better understanding of where it's at) and to have to worry about yet another bunch of very stupid people making yet more stupid decisions is beyond me. So yes, I tread very carefully in the face of new scares.

It isn't helped by the fact that as humans we tend to hear what we believe in and discount the rest (to paraphrase Simon and Garfunkle...). I have a friend whose brother is involved with the investigation of crop circles as alien phenomena, and all the evidence that points loud and clear to it being a hoax is discarded on the basis that "That's what they want us to believe". When someone refuses to acknowledge hard evidence against their ideas and stick to their pet theory, I get worried, especially when they are afraid of some undefined "they" and this strengthens their belief.

Further, in North America people are particularly prone to believe in the latest scare. Something like several hundred-thousand kids are abducted annually in the USA, but of those, in a population of 250million, only about 500 annually are stranger abductions. So people live in fear of that miniscule chance that some mad nutter is going to abduct their child around every corner (chance worku out to 1/500K). They are also terrified of terrorist attack (1/10K). Yes, each of those things are devastating should they happen, but to live in fear of it is to live a half-life. Yet we happily ignore the chances of dying by heart attack (1/20 or so) or stroke (1/25 or so) (mostly caused by poor eating habits) (or death or maiming by vehicle accident - both of which have a massively greater chance, several orders of magnitude greater, of happening to us. We don't eat fantastically healthily (a pity, because maybe westerners would be more focused of good quality than quantity, and would demand sound and organic farming practices, increased reserves of wild land for regeneration of water and air etc) Instead we shop til we drop for things that put huge amounts of toxins into our air, water and ground, such as textile manufacture (using many toxic dyes and dye fixatives, the fibres are treated with toxic compounds to reduce wrinkling etc, shoes are tanned with toxic heavy metal containing chemicals) we work 8 or more hours per day to sustain support of these toxic industries, but doll, I would just die if I can't get that keeyute pair of shoes or mah exact lipstick shade, don'tcha know? Ok, now I am going overboard, getting sarcastic at Western culture (You do, I hope, understand that this is venting frustration at the nature of our species, not at you here! And I do not exclude myself from these foibles (though I am not particularly sold on fashion (though most would say I just have no fashion sense whatsoever, and they would be right), prefer natural fibres anyway, and never wear makeup by preference;^))) (not sure how many parentheses I need to end that...)

Yes, if this seeding the upper atmosphere is happening, it must be stopped. You'd think the buggers would have learnt from the CFCs etc that you can't just throw yet more chemicals at a situation and hope it will solve the fallout from the last three levels of "remedial" chemicals, but I suppose expecting humanity as a whole to learn from it's mistakes, in the face of overwhelming evidence that we just don't would make me just too naive to live really. Have you read "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright? Or "Living Downstream" by Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D. ?

So if this alumina spray story is really happening, which I frankly REALLY don't want it to be, then I am pretty much ready to pack my bags and volunteer to go find another planet. Except that we don't deserve to find another if we can't even look after this one. I am feeling really guilty about having had kids - I mean voluntarily introducing yet more suckers into this place to try to survive what we have done to it?

Anyway, I must go cook supper for my family, keep them alive a little longer and maybe raise them to help lead the way to a better way of living.

I look forward to continued "discussion" and information from you (though from me so far it is just venting. Oh well. Next time maybe?)

Best,

Tess

People interested in climate change and its regional effects may want to download the following:

http://www.cses.washington.edu/db/pdf/snoveretalgb574.pdf

Remember: For the sake of the shared air we breathe DON'T BURN WOOD.

Hi Heather,

I'm keen to read the results of all your great work on this subject matter; is your report available to share at this point?

All the best,

Trev

Hello Heather, obviously I am a couple of years behind on this posting as well as all the constructive replies.  Have there been any subtantive outcomes from the "Choosing Our Future process" as well as your organizations recommendations?

Has anyone attempted to engage a design company to create a visualization for many of these idea's? Ottawa with mass transit in place, high rises along the mass transit route, more parks, more arts & entertainment & sports, waste management with near 100% recycling, a variety of energy sources, etc. It would be nice if we could put a stop further urban, retail, and industrial sprawl.

There was an interesting conf sponsored by the New York Times Apr 25 2013 ; Energy for Tommorow, Building Sustainable Cities

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Corrie Rabbe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service