The Bayshore Park Community Garden Build Day
Sunday, July 22, 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
(Some early risers and Bayshore Park Community Garden Working Group members will be receiving deliveries and doing site preparation from 7-9 am).
The build will take place at the Bayshore Park Community Garden site. This is right next to the Ice Rink/Basketball Courts on Woodridge Cres.. The closest municipal address is 175 Woodridge Cres. (the Field House).
Here is how it will work. At approximately 9 am, there will be a ground breaking ceremony and demonstration of how to build the raised garden beds. After the demonstration, small teams will break out to build the boxes. We will identify a team leader (someone with basic carpentry skills) for each small team. After the boxes are built, we will cut and staple geo-textile inside the boxes and fill the bottom 6 inches with sand.
Please join us and be part of this exciting, community led and designed project!
**To reduce the impact on the environment please bring your own water bottle. We will have additional water on site for refills. Sunscreen and a portable lawn chair may also be useful to have on site**
There are so many ways you can help out:
- Site preparation
- Receiving deliveries of supplies
- Registration and task assignment
- Refilling water bottles or donating or serving refreshments
- Helping with onsite children's activities
- Bring a shovel, wheelbarrow or cordless drill. We will be screwing in 3 ½ “ #10 Robertson deck screws, which need at ¼ inch driver.
- Construction of raised garden boxes- Volunteers with carpentry skills are key to this portion of the project
- Cutting, laying and stapling of Geo-textile inside boxes
- Shoveling dirt and sand
- Photography at the event
- First Aid
You do not need to commit for volunteering to the entire time span. Every bit of help is welcome.